Innovative Australian startups have been shortlisted from a record number of international applicants to take part in Rabobank’s prestigious global food and agri startup ‘discovery program’ FoodBytes! Virtual Pitch 2020.
The Australian-based companies are among 45 food and agri startups, from across 14 countries shortlisted from a field of 340 applicants from around the world, to enter into the program, which facilitates mentoring and showcases food and agri startup companies to corporate leaders, investors and the wider market.
The startups are:
- Food tech business Carapac (NSW) – makers of a durable, home-compostable alternative to plastic packaging made from crustacean shells.
- Field robotics company Agerris (NSW) – commercialising robotic agricultural equipment and AI solutions for on-farm operations and sustainability.
- SWAN Systems (WA) – precision irrigation and fertiliser platform to help growers precisely schedule, monitor and report on smarter resource management (water and nutrient consumption) to improve economic and environmental outcomes.
- ProAgni(NSW) – makers of antibiotic and ionophore-nutrition products for sheep and cattle that contribute to ethical and sustainable animal production and industry performance.
- I Am Grounded (Queensland) – business upcycling discarded coffee fruit into sustainable snack products
Rabobank Australia head of innovation, knowledge and networks, Nathalie Gibson, said the shortlisted Australian startups stood out from a strong global field of applicants, based on the “innovative solutions they had developed to contribute to a more sustainable and efficient food supply”.
“The five Australian startups shortlisted for this year’s program are a testament to the food and agri talent in this country. These companies are pioneering the future of food and agri and will showcase their ideas and Australia on the global stage,” she said. “They demonstrate ground-breaking new approaches in agtech, foodtech and consumer food and beverages, in areas including animal health, regenerative agriculture, on-farm robotics, advanced nutrition, sustainable packaged and plant-based and up-cycled ingre