The 2018 Australian Women in Wine Awards have attracted strong numbers, with more finalists announced this year than in previous years.
There are eight awards on offer this year. Each attracted a large number of entries, which the judges decided to celebrate by naming four finalists in some of the categories, instead of the usual three.
The Fabulous Ladies’ Wine Society together with the Australian Women in Wine Awards (AWIWA) advisory board announce the finalists of the awards on October 16.
Now in its fourth year, the Australian Women in Wine Awards are the first awards platform for women in wine.
Founding member of the AWIWA advisory board and award-winning wine journalist, Jeni Port, said each year the judging process gets harder as more talented women enter.
“We looked at entrants who are global leaders in their fields. That’s exciting and worth shouting about,” said Port.
The finalists in each category are:
Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
- Kate Goodman, Goodman Wines / Penley Estate
- Gill Gordon-Smith, Fall From Grace
- Cath Oates, Oates Ends
- Emma Wood, Penfolds Wines (Treasury Wine Estates)
Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Brooke Howell, Yalumba & Hill-Smith Family Vineyards
- Amanda Mader, Vine Scout
- Nicole Pitman, Kingston Estate Vineyards
Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by WineWorks Australia
- Kirsty Balnaves, Balnaves of Coonawarra
- Callie Jemmeson, Wine Unplugged
- Sarah Marquis, Mollydooker Wines
Workplace Champion of Change – sponsored by Winemakers Federation of Australia
- Darryn Hakof, Pernod Ricard Winemakers
- Lara Simic, Winestate Publishing
- Zonte’s Footstep
Cellar Door Person of the Year – sponsored by Platinum Bags
- Janine Carter, Voyager Estate
- Jessie Jiang, Sandalford Wines
- Michelle Stehbens, Katnook Coonawarra
Researcher of the Year – sponsored by Angove Family Winemakers
- Jacqui McRae, Australian Wine Research Institute
- Prof. Sandra Savocchia & Dr. Regina Billones-Baaijens, Charles Sturt University, National Wine and Grape Industry Centre
- Prof. Kerry Wilkinson, The University of Adelaide
Marketer of the Year – sponsored by Denomination
- Belinda Austin – Austins Wines
- Shirley Fraser – Byrne Vineyards
- Lynda Schenk – Purple Giraffe
The eighth award category, Woman of Inspiration Award – sponsored by Irvine Wines – is a judges’ choice award determined by AWIWA. No entry is required, and the winner will be announced at the awards ceremony on November 16 in Sydney.
The 2018 awards were judged by panels made up of AWIWA advisory board members as well as previous winners and category sponsors.