- Addressing packaging education in Africa
A recent trip to Nigeria showed our AIP columnist that there is so much Australia can teach the developing world when it comes to effective packaging.
- Want a better world? You can’t look at GMOs in isolation
The Philippines (the rice-bowl of Southeast Asia) has become a test bed for genetically modified crops. Proponents argue GM grains and vegetables can improve the life of farmers and malnourished locals. But is this technical approach the right one?
- Australian agriculture’s biggest threat needs a global approach
Foot and mouth disease is still considered the most serious biosecurity threat to Australia’s agricultural industries. A widespread outbreak could cost the economy more than A$16 billion in the first 12 months.
- Health Check: the low-down on eating vs juicing fruit and veg
Eating more fruits and vegetables is the foundation stone of any healthy diet … Juices can be a convenient and tasty way to get some of the health benefits of these foods – but how do they compare nutritionally?
- For GM food and vaccinations, the panic virus is a deadly disease
Anti-science opposition to using genetic modification as a means of preventing disease is rife; to save lives, that opposition has to stop.
- Why embracing free trade may be more complicated than it looks
If headlines are to be believed, the new Coalition government is set to “embrace free trade” in its first term in office.
- Why we made the switch to solar: Spiess Australia
Tony Klausner, managing director of Spiess Australia Smallgoods, explains why the company, which specialises in air-dried meat products,switched to solar power.
- FactCheck: do many other countries restrict foreign investment in agricultural land?
In their final election debate at the Rooty Hill RSL Club, both leaders were asked about foreign investment of agricultural land in Australia.
- Sip on this: do diet drinks make you fatter?
Diet drinks are no help in the fight against obesity and may actually encourage over-eating, according to a US academic who recently argued this point in the journal Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism.
- Foreign investment in agriculture? How about a plan for profitability
Large parts of Australian agriculture are economically and financially unsustainable. Returns are inadequate and unbalanced; assets are depleted; risks are needlessly high. To date, governments have largely relied on the market to address problems, but problems have worsened.
- The global food security threat: where do we begin?
Without doubt, the biggest challenge we, our children, and our grandchildren will face is the rising global demand for food and its impact on the environment, says Major General John Hartley, CEO of Future Directions International.
- The Right Food Group wins Organics title at Food awards: video
The Right Food Group proved it’s got the right idea in mind with its Organic Noodle Kitchen – Asian Noodle Range, taking home the Organics category at this year’s Food Magazine awards.
- Morlife dominates at Food magazine awards: videos
Functional food company, Morlife, was the big winner at this year’s Food magazine awards, taking out both the Confectionery and Snack Foods categories, as well as the overall Best of the Best award.
- Ready-to-go roasts win Food magazine award: video
Grab and Go Hot Country Roasts by Creative Food Solutions won the Meat and Smallgoods category at this year’s Food magazine awards.
- Cheeky Rascal Cider takes out Beverages category at Food awards: video
Two years ago, Rebello launched Cheeky Rascal Cider – the country’s first apple and pear cider to be blended with fruit wine and made entirely from real, fresh, local strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. And this year, the company won the Food magazine awards’ Beverages category for its new varietal range.
- New plating system from CMActive claims packaging award: video
CMActive’s Torus Pak was a stand-out contender in the Food magazine awards’ Packaging Design category this year.
- Springhill Farm wins Prepared Foods category at Food awards: video
Springhill Farm’s Real Bread Mix took out the top spot in the 2013 Food magazine award’s Prepared Meals category.
- Gluten Free Grain Free range wins industry health award: video
Taking home the Food magazine Health and Wellness award for 2013 is Gluten Free Grain Free’s Food for Everybody – Cake Premixes range.
- CST Wastewater Solutions wins sustainable manufacturing award: video
CST Wastewater Solutions claimed the Sustainable Manufacturing award at this year’s Food magazine awards, for its Chok Chai Starch RAPTOR.
- Passage Foods’ pumpkin curry named Ready Meal of the Year: video
This year’s Ready Meals category winner of the Food magazine awards, Passage Foods, won for its innovative ready-to-eat Pumpkin Curry Side Simmer Sauce.